Sep 30, 2015

Iceland Survival pt4 - West.

Peaceful.
This is the last and most relaxing part of the trip. There is something about West, lakes & fjords - it's quiet and laid back.
Brilliant skies.
It's all embedded in my memories as a story of Sun & Skies. Sun playing with clouds as I drive slowly into mellow shores of the West, streaming silver rays down and exploding into shimmering bells & sparkles as it touches the waters of countless lakes.
Lakeside.
 All washed clean by recent rains and shiny as polished silver set, Iceland finally showed it smiling face - shy but incredibly beautiful and brilliantly lit in this cold sunshine.

Rainbow from hotel window.
Once I arrived to hotel, I jumped right into shower - but as I came out and stepped to the tall, ceiling-high window in my room, I stopped on my tracks, water still dripping from my wet hair. I was enchanted and held hostage by the view of the rainbow spanning across the field, so clear and sharp.
Common area in Hotel Vogur

It is quiet here. Hotel Vogur is newly renovated, it is off-season, so there are no other guests. It is weird but so pleasant to be alone here.
Manager recommends to see old church, not far, but out of the way - so I set of for evening drive.
Road to church is not-existent, as many here, narrow and windy, rocks, grass & puddles. It is getting dark too. But rewards for this: most amazing views and reflections.
Reflections.
Church is old, and so charming. There is a tiny cemetery on the back, and it's all eerie and quiet... 
Red-door church.
Sun is setting, and I really don't want to get stuck in marshlands at night, so I make my way back - with stops, of course. I cannot resist walking across the field and follow noisy clean stream.
Open fields around property and lake just across the way makes perfect setting for sky photography, sunsets, and, at night, for hunting Northern lights, of course.
Sunset at Hotel Vogur.
I did not sleep that night. I keep running to the window and looking at the sky. Finally, I just went outside, set tripod and waited in the middle of open field. Stars are incredible here. And so are the Northern lights!
Lights playing in the sky!
Phew, what a night! As fast as they came, they disappear. Only memory remained... Forever and ever...

In the morning, it's one last drive - to Rekjavik. But I hate driving in straight lines, you know that? So, detour is in order!
Going through Þingvellir National Park, (Thingvellir), and it's mostly F-roads, which means no pavement, no markers, 4x4 only.
GPS keeps spewing warning to turn around if you don't have 4WD.

Oh, hell no, no turning around! It is weird to drive through plateau, black as night sky, in rain (again), with no visible markers of the road. Glacier to the left, mountains to the right - it is simply undescribable.
That's the road, yo!
Views are incredible, but rains stopping me from taking more pictures.
Glaciers & Mountains.
But rain stops by the time I make it to Rekjavik. It's clear and pretty nice to walk around town. It's a charming town, and restaurants here are simply amazing - but if you want to see attractions, everything within 2 hrs drive of the city is way too touristy and crowded - most definitely drive further to the see the beauty of this country.
Rekjavik old town.

But I digress - Rekjavik worth a short stay.
Just a walk around old town... It's great to relax in civilization.
At Kjallarinn.

Must stop & eat at Kjallarinn - food is incredible and drinks are amazing. So as decor and atmosphere!
Rekjavik.
 This was my favorite spot in Rekjavik - just sitting there by the lake...

Goodbye, Iceland, my love.
You are so beautiful. So tough. So genuine. Till I come back, remember me. I will always remember you.

No comments:

Post a Comment