Sep 15, 2015

Iceland Survival, pt2 - East.

Bridge ruins near Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon.
The storm is spinning around the coast like a merry-go-around, refusing to leave.
One great thing about it - enormous amounts of water it's dumping on the ground turns every cliff into waterfall. There hundreds of them along the road now, some are quite beautiful, and some are quite dangerous, spewing rocks and mud into highway. 
Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon.

There are two glaciers on the way, but even short walk proven to be challenging - water pouring so hard I find it difficult to keep my eyes open, and even my rain gear cannot handle this amount of water - it is not swimsuit after all! I am wet to the bones, give up and get back to the car.

There is nothing else to do but drive to Breiddalsvik & relax at hotel...
Hótel Bláfell.

Hótel Bláfell is simple, but so, so charming. High wooden ceilings and beams, real fireplace in common room.... And oh, yesssssss, best ever herring and bread for breakfast!
But - I get ahead of myself. Storm died down by morning, and I woke up to blues on the lake...
Morning at the lake.

Everything is quiet, bathing in this blue haze, fresh and washed up, and so peaceful.
There is a small laguna, and ships - old and new.
Old ship.

Town just waking up. Few people already loading something on the docks. They start early here.
Peace after the storm.
I walk around some more, till I see the sign telling me to go away - I take it as my cue to go back to hotel.
But as I walk to the hotel parking lot, I stop & burst out laughting - and now my mood matching the weather, brighter and sunnier. Just look at this:
Twins.
On this sunny note, I say good bye to Breiddalsvik and continue my journey... I follow the sun that chasing clouds away. Valley opens up to the views of beautiful red-roof church - edges & lines are sharp in morning light, and clouds backdrop makes it even more dramatic...
This valley is most beautiful I've seen so far, and even my schedule not planned for this, I spent crazy amount of time stopping on every turn. I just cannot, cannot pass it.
I drive off and stop again. And again. And again. I think I will never leave this place. Those mountaintops came from fairy tale, with little peaks, detailing and ornate openings.
Rivers & roads weaving in the valley, and clouds playing catch with mountains...

I am expecting to see fairy people next. What they called? Oh, yes, Huldufólk. (no, I am not cursing).

Do you think they wash clothes in the stream, bathe in the waterfall and eat herring in the morning?

One thing I absolutely love about Iceland: you can drive for hours and don't see a single soul or house. Just untouched nature. It's insane in this day and age, and deeply poetic.
Only living creatures around are sheep. They wild, funny, and plentiful. I keep chasing after them, on foot or in car. Buggers are fast! All I want is a good picture!
Sheep!!
...Akureyri is next stop...

No comments:

Post a Comment